For the last two years (ok maybe a little longer! :o) I've been steadily working away at my How to Make an RPG project. This is a digital book, collection of art assets, step-by-step projects and game engine that helps the reader make their own Japanese style RPG. It's the book I always wanted to read but didn't exist...
It's very rare for a book to tell you, step-by-step how to make a game. I've learned the reason for that; because it's a massive undertaking! But it's nearly over :)
You can see all the details of the project here. But basically:
- Digital book (tome really), that tells how to make a full JRPG-style game.
- Over $2000 worth of bespoke pixel art you're free to use however you want
- A full C++ engine with source
- Example projects that take you step by step from sprite to full game
- Instructions on how to create three full games:
- A narrative based dungeon escape (with simple puzzle)
- An arena fighting game
- A full but small quest based game that has everything you'd expect a JRPG to have.
The package is pretty comprehensive. I don't deal with combat status-effects (slow, poison etc) but I intend to write an article about them post-release. The book was just getting a bit too big. (I do cover stealing, magic and special abilities though :))
I've been writing updates on my progress and other RPG-focused stuff over on this website.
Here are some screenshots:
In early January I opened up early access for the book to the people on the mailing list. I'd had a few requests from people who wanted to purchase it early and I'd decided if I hadn't finished by January then I'd make it available. If you want early access you can sign-up to the mailing list over on this page.
Early Access CommentsIt's been well recieved so far! Here are some of the comments I've had. (Posted with permission. There are more I wanted to post but I forgot to ask permission at the time and it feels weird asking after a few months, so these are the ones you get :D)
Your book is amazing! Best buy I've made in a while!
- Oli Bedsole
Your book is helping my dreams come true
- Terrence Young
I've been programming for much longer, but in the last year I've really wanted to make an old-school SNES style RPG. Your book has been well worth the money, has a load more content in it than I ever expected (when I first opened it and saw 900+ pages, I was amazed!!). Also, the step-by-step explanations with visual examples for everything are just amazing. I've been though a ton of different guides and have made Zelda clones, but the detail and depth of your guide and well-written explanations/functions, UI design, and generally everything have been amazing.
I've been waiting for this eBook since you first announced it, and I wish that I had been able to read this when I first started game development, it would've saved a lot of headaches and frustration!
Forget Early-Access When is it Out?Since January I've released five version updates and the book text is now at version 1.0. The text is nearly ready for release.
Before release I need to:
- Write and upload the engine documentation
- Clean up the engine code and upload it
- Update all the examples so they're using the correct final engine binary.
- Make the mac version statically link the library binaries so it *just works* rather than needing a work around
If you have been following this project for a long time - thank you for your enduring patience!